Saturday, April 24, 2010

Steadfast

The oak and the reed grew beside the brook. "Storm's coming," whispered the waters as they slipped past. "Storm's on its way."

"It will tear you down," said the reed. "You should learn to give way, like I do."

"I cannot bend," said the oak. "I must endure."

The reed snickered. "We will see which of us breaks."

Night fell. The storm came, and the reed dove among its brothers, kneeling before the blast. In the darkness, there was a terrible, wrenching scream.

The sun rose, glittering on the dewy green oak leaves... and the broken shards of the wind.


3 comments:

Turned Into Stone said...

Checked out your blog from seeing a comment you made on the EA forums. I like the idea of 100 words a day. I will definitely be checking back.

This one is kinda parable like. I like it. It reminds me of a song called "strong enough to bend."

Scattercat said...

Welcome, welcome. Not that there's a huge community here, particularly, but I'm always when someone else enjoys my stories. That's why they're here, after all. I'm mildly amused that my habit of putting Mirrorshards in all of my signatures is actually working at attracting readers.

If you ever get bored, there's literally a novel's worth of backlog here in the archives...

Turned Into Stone said...

I'll have to check them out one day. Unfortunately finals are about to have me all tied up for the next week or so. I'm always looking for new things to read :)