Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Our Lady of Nicotine

She passes along the streets, ministering to her remaining followers. They huddle, soaked and freezing, on corners and under awnings. They do not smile when they see her. She wears a canvas coat with many pockets, and beneath the curtain of her hair is the glowing ember of a cigarette. That flame has never gone out, kissing each new cigarette like a baptism, passed on to one of the faithful to hold until she returns, a trail of fire and ash through the years.

They need her, and they also hate her. She accepts their bitter love and is gone.


8 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

Nice imagery, very poetic.

Loren Eaton said...

This reminds me of the personification of the four horsemen of the apocalypse in Good Omens. By which I mean, nicely done.

Scattercat said...

I figured you two would like this one. ;-)

I have to restrain myself from doing endless series of Small God snapshots. I enjoy them way too much.

Loren Eaton said...

Go ahead with them! My favorite part of American Gods was the conversation with the god of TV.

Turned Into Stone said...

I second the comparison to Good Omens! And that you should go ahead with the small gods snapshots.

Scattercat said...

I have to save some of them for the novel that will never ever be finished...

Deb Markanton said...

Okay, I've been absent for a long time. This is awesome. Awesome.

Scattercat said...

Welcome back, Deb. :-)