Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Frontiersman

Happy birthday to me!

Yes, I'm a year older today, but seemingly no wiser (nor any closer to actually being published.)  May the Wisest Stone bless us all with his insight and general truculence in the coming holiday season. 

If any of my fan(s) knows more about migrating Mirrorshards to its own website/server, let me know.  As far as I'm concerned, the computer is the Magic Box that does stuff when I push buttons.   I'd like to be able to mirror this on its own webspace; I'd feel more like I was accomplishing actual "publishing" that way.  ;-)


---

The farmer found, to his dismay, that the stone which had halted his plow was rather larger than he'd thought.  His digging revealed what was almost a boulder, out of place in the soft loam of the countryside.  He nearly dropped his spade when the stone spoke.

“What are you doing?” asked the stone, in a polite but disinterested baritone.

“I'm a farmer,” the man answered.  “I tame the wilderness to bring order and plenty.”  He indicated his plow, horse, and tools.

The Wisest Stone thought a while.  “I do not feel particularly tamed,” he said.

2 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

Many huzzahs and congrats on your natal day!

For the record, I rather liked your piece in Hypersonic Tales. The reading was great.

Scattercat said...

Thanks! I got Smallworld and End of the Triumvirate; now I just need people to play them with.

I did like the reading on "Lady." I originally wrote it intending it to be mimicking an oral story, with rhythmic lines and repetition of refrains.

Still, five bucks for a flash fiction piece as my only publishing credit in over a year of trying isn't really a fabulous track record. :-P Maybe I can publish Mirrorshards in another six months when it hits novel length...