Saturday, October 24, 2009

Costume

“And what are you supposed to be?”

“I am the End,” said the little boy. “I am young now, fresh-faced and innocent. But sooner or later I will grow up. I will gain knowledge and wisdom, but also cynicism and bitterness. I will grow old. I will gather wrinkles with each disappointment, each failure. One day, I will look out at my world and see only broken dreams. At that moment, I will truly die, though my body may live on for months or years.”

There was an appalled silence.

“Okay, I’m a cowboy. Can I have some candy now?”

3 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

This is ... surprisingly chilling.

Scattercat said...

Cribbed from Peter S. Beagle, but I was running out of time. :-)

Jim Murdoch said...

Brilliant! I read it out to my wife and she loved it too.