Thursday, November 25, 2010

Blinkers

He dwells in the hidden corners of the steering column, waiting to bestow his blessings. In light and sound is his glory revealed, the steady pulse of the universe waiting to change.

He holds the sound as long as he can, until the wrenching twist rips it away again. He doesn't mind. He gives it freely.

You must be mindful, as you move forward, that you do not lose the wonder he embodies. Those who do are dangerous. You will know them by this sign: they never deviate, never turn aside, traveling straight along life's highway.

Deaf to his voice.

5 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

I cannot understand how you do this, day after day, finding wonder in every nook and cranny of the world around us....

I like this, btw!

Scattercat said...

Well, I do have a couple of wells that I return to pretty regularly. Mostly I just use some slightly adjusted writing advice.

I attended a seminar about writing horror at GenCon one year, and one of the authors described how to really get a good scare going. He said, "Look around you and find some ordinary thing. That thing is wrong. Now what's wrong with it?" To look at the ordinary and find a way to make it extraordinary, in other words.

It's given me several successful stories thus far (one of which has actually sold) and it's a big source of flitterfics. I just broaden the horizons from making things wrong to just making them magical or otherworldly in some way. It's fun living in an animistic world, really.

The Words Crafter said...

Congrats on the sale and you do an amazing job. I've been scarce lately(participated in NaNoWriMo) and I hope to be back to a little more normal...

Have you ever thought of getting some of these published as an anthology? I'd buy it; they're that good!

Scattercat said...

I have generally assumed that such a project would be something I would do once I have a book or two written and a relationship with a publisher. "Hey, can you publish a thousand stories of mine that I've already published and given away for free?" seems not to be what one might call an irresistible deal.

dolorah said...

Quite interesting. Very different.

........dhole