Friday, March 5, 2010

A Rag, Clenched in Teeth

You know that feeling, that tingle all over your body when you’re scared? Really, truly frightened? That’s your hair, rising up. Horripilation.

Say that word with me. Let it linger.

When it happens to monkeys, they become twice their usual size. All hair, of course. Look fierce. Your hair isn’t like that. Small hair, thin hair. Hair for fear.

The bumps you feel? They tell you it’s the muscles erecting the hair, but it’s not. Your hair knows what’s coming. It’s trying to get away, tugging at your skin.

Let’s help it.

Pluck.

Pluck.

Yes, just like that. That’s horripilation.

5 comments:

AidanF said...

You captured the torturers voice nicely.

Scattercat said...

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...

Deb Markanton said...

Okay, I barked laughter. Not sure if you intended the funny aspect but horripilation reminded me a little of that hair extracting device called the Epilady (spelling?) Sorry, I'm weird.

Scattercat said...

I don't know that it was really meant to be ha-ha funny...

Loren Eaton said...

Holy mackeral, this freaked me out. I'm not sure I can even say why, but the tone ... Gah, goosebumps.

Wait, no!!!