Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hindsight

“2012! The world will end in 2012!” the man on the bus shouted, waving his arms. He spoke to nobody.

“Lies!” cried a burly, bearded man. “The Lord vouchsafed unto me that the world ends on Christmas in 2033.”

“Idiots,” sneered a slick-dressed man. “The world will end in a few billion years, when the sun burns out.”

As the bus erupted in a welter of conflicting prophecies, I turned to the pale woman beside me. “Don’t you have a date for the Apocalypse?” I asked.

“Oh, yes,” she said, turning wide, dark eyes to me. “It was last Tuesday.”

3 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

Whenever I turn on the news on TV my usual opening line goes something like: "Well, let's see if the world ended today."

Scattercat said...

Is it good news or bad news if it did?

Al 7ur said...

good one.