Thursday, September 17, 2009

98%

“We’re going to be late for class!”

“I’m almost ready,” said Carla. “Just having a hard time with this… thing.”

Jeanine sighed. “Come out and let me help.”

Carla appeared, her head encased in translucent pinkish rubber. It inflated as she spoke. “I don’t think the seal is supposed to be this tight.”

“Of course it is,” said Jeanine. “It wouldn’t be much of a prophylactic if it let stuff through.”

“I’m getting light-headed.”

“What, you want to go without any protection? Just let whatever ideas into your head you like? I swear, Carla, it’s like you don’t even care.”

2 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

Wonderful concept. On several levels. But I like the idea that it's a class they're going to and not a night out or anything.

Scattercat said...

Where else would you get strange, possibly contagious ideas?

This was one of the flitterfics inspired by random statements. We're trying out a new local writing group and someone was talking about copyright as "protection" for their ideas. Another member snorted and admitted that the first thing that came to mind when someone mentioned "getting protection" was a box of condoms. I made a little note on my paper and smiled to myself.