Saturday, July 24, 2010

I Dream of Leaves and Green and Soft Ripe Fruit and You

Monkeys watch me in the grocery store. Monkeys behind syrup bottles and swinging from the fluorescent lights. I have a monkey in my cart. I can see his eyes, his sad brown eyes, where he hides between boxes.

Monkeys see hear speak nothing because they already know. They know about monkey faces in vest pockets, flying monkey planes overhead, carrying monkey umbrellas, whizzing on fire monkey hydrants.

I get on the monkey bus and sit. A lady sits across from me. I look up, quick. Quick enough to see the sad-faced monkey behind her eyes. A glimpse, and it's gone.

3 comments:

iHeartMusic57 said...

That was really interesting to read; it really painted images in my head. :)

The Words Crafter said...

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it feels very deep, like it's making a statement....

Scattercat said...

@iHeartMusic

It's hard to translate some of my more visually oriented ideas into text, let alone such a short text.

---

@TWC

Well, I rarely write anything that isn't saying something, but I don't tend to be terribly prescriptive about what people need to understand. What did you hear in it?