Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dregs

The bottle hissed as Rollney broke the seal. Air seeped in to disturb the contents for the first time in decades.

"This," said Rollney, "is the good stuff. No knock-offs here." He poured one parsimonious dose apiece. "It's been a long time for you, I gather. Well, this'll set you right. True hope is... well, you'll see."

The liquid shimmered, a bare half-inch in each shot glass.

"So things will get better after this, right? It's true, not false?"

Rollney held his glass to the light. "Ah, well, that's the thing with hope, true or false. You can't ever know."

2 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

Reminds me of this one. I'd prefer cake rather than cookies, by the way.

Scattercat said...

That's pretty impressive; didja search it or actually remember?

Send me an addy and I'll send you your cookie/cake/whatever. ;-) Never let it be said I do not keep my promises, and every word written here at Mirrorshards is true.