Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Inflamed

“I shouldn't go,” said Errol. “I've got that thing that's going around.”

“Pfft,” Dean chided. “Everyone's had that. No one cares anymore. It'll burn out in a few more weeks.”

“They say it's a pandemic,” said Errol. “I'm trying to be responsible. It's really contagious. I caught it from less than a minute with Kathy.”

“That was last week. Just don't cough on anyone.”

“I don't think coughing is really the problem,” said Errol, shifting the phone to his other hand. He looked at the flames, flickering steadily up past his elbow...

2 comments:

Wendy Sparrow said...

The title is really quite perfect. I think you'd probably need more than a week off work for this, though, and kleenex would probably aggravate it.

Scattercat said...

I am helpless in the grip of a striking literalized metaphor.