Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Housecat

For reference

---

As Leon settled in front of the television, the house rocked from a heavy impact.  Leon turned to regard the luminous eye at the window.

“Good night, Zither,” he said.  He stood and reached out to scratch behind one enormous ear.

“Mrrrudnite,” said Zither, crawling into his garage.

On the television screen, a talking head was spouting opinions.  “...driving the other day and some maniac on a chihuahua comes barreling up behind me, barking like mad.  My car was up a tree for hours until he calmed down.  They shouldn't let Mexicans on American highways, I say...”

3 comments:

Wendy Sparrow said...

I had to read this twice because it was so far from what I was expecting. It reminds me a little of the moment of "huh" I get when I first settled in to a Philip K. Dick novel. Then, my reality tilted, and I laughed.

The bit about "Mexicans" was brilliant.

Scattercat said...

This is what happens when my previous hallucinatory vision of giant cats used as highway transportation crashes into a remembered anecdote about a really insane caller who threatened to "vote for Obama" if the "Mexican truckers" weren't removed from the highways immediately.

Sometimes the gumbo pops up stuff you don't remember putting in.

Deb Markanton said...

Okay, I can't...breathe. Still laughing...trying to breathe. Almost got it...ahhhh. Damn, that was funny.