Thursday, February 12, 2009

Favorite

Questor the Elf nodded solemnly. “And now you must embrace your destiny, young hero.”

Jim, the still-unfamiliar blade awkward in his hands, rubbed a sweaty palm on his jeans. “I’m ready,” he said, “even if I never believed in magic before.”

“The magic believes in you,” chirped Jub-Jub, the talking cat-bird.

“Go, now,” Questor said, with a gentle but insistent shove. Jim glanced once back at his friends and started across the Doombridge. He made it only halfway before the swooping Dreadwing picked him off.

Questor winced. “Unfortunate. We’ll have to get another one.”

“He was my favorite,” Jub-Jub sighed.

2 comments:

ElfAgent said...

Questor laughs when he eats. Did he this time? Sometimes Questor gets serious.

I'm going over my collection of Elfon John's Greatest Hits. He had a song that says "I can see Questor waving goodbye." That's what thought of when Questor said "Go now."

Let me now exit mysElf.

Scattercat said...

I... um... okay?