Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Offer May Not Be Refused

Snake pushed the gun into the back of the man's tween overcoat. "Hand over your wallet!"

The man turned, and Snake stepped back, despite himself. "You require money?"

"Er, well, yeah."

"Easily solved!" The man hauled out a thick roll of bills and offered it. Several thousand, at least.

Snake hesitated.

"Please," said the man. "Among my people, it is absolutely forbidden to decline any request. I am delighted to help."

As Snake's hand closed on the money, the man's eyes flickered, as if covered by nictitating membranes. "And now," he said, "I hope you will help me in return..."

2 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

As Snake's hand closed on the money, the man's eyes flickered, as if covered by nictitating membranes.

This totally reminds me of William Gibson's "The Belonging Kind." Great story and great flitterfic.

Scattercat said...

I read that story in "The Weird." It was my first encounter with it, and it's definitely one of the ones that stuck in my memory so far. Me and nictitating membranes go way, way back, though.