Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Word of God


The tiny people lined every surface.  Toby tugged his robe closed.  They watched him expectantly.

"Would you like coffee?" he asked them.

"A prophecy!" one said.  "Truly, in final days, we WILL desire stimulation!"

"Nonsense!" said another.  "Notice the word 'like.'  We are akin to coffee, for we grow in the soil of our faith and are roasted by the fires of temptation-"

"Heresy!"

"Stop it," Toby snapped.  "All of you!"

"Ah, truly we WILL eventually cease to be!"

"Gibberish!  The commandment was clear..."

The argument resumed.  Toby gritted his teeth and said nothing for as long as he could.

4 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

You didn't happen to watch Life of Brian just before you wrote this, did you?

Scattercat said...

Haven't ever watched that one all the way through, actually.

Jim Murdoch said...

I am shocked to hear that. I was sure this was based on the scene where Brian loses his sandal. You can see the clip here. I think it's one of the greatest comedy films of all time. I must have seen it half a dozen times. I've even seen the 'oratorio' version, Not the Messiah (He's a Very Naughty Boy).

Scattercat said...

Monty Python contained some of my favorite comedians, but I never warmed up to "Life of Brian." Nor "Meaning of Life," really. Pretty much all of their full-length stuff left me a little cold. I'm not sure if it's just that I get uncomfortable with the subject matter or if I don't like them in such large doses or what. Even "Holy Grail" is less awesome, to me, than most of the sketch comedy from the show itself.