Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Ceaseless Mechanical Hum

What is it that drives us on? That pushes us to discover, to invent, to create? There is no 'human spirit,' no inherent indomitable quality, nothing other than this: We make our greatest strides when we are uncomfortable where we are. Discomfort, not need, is the mother of invention. That prickling, tingling, itching desire to be somewhere else.

And that is my gift to you. To all of humanity. You feel it now, yes? That first twitching uneasiness? That feeling will only grow. But not too much; my machine is not meant as a torment.

Embrace it with me now.

3 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

this is deeper than it seems on the first read.....really good!!!

Scattercat said...

I'm curious; what did you see on first read, and what on subsequent readings?

dolorah said...

Awesome.

I agree that discomfort makes us take notice of our surroundings; of our thoughts and internal processes. Yes, we live, but we live in the norm.

Or shall I say we exist in the norm. Change makes us take notice. challenge makes us come alive enough to contemplate our world, and our place in it.

"And that is my gift to you." I do feel that whatever force in life get us (as feeling beings) to contemplate more than just what is in front of us, is a GOD, in whatever manner we perceive the entity.

..........dhole