Friday, October 29, 2010

Sticks and Stones

"So what killed him?"

Astrid clenched her teeth and tamped down on her anger, restraining her initial sharp retort. "I've been here five minutes, Paulson." Paulson flinched as her response bit, drawing blood. "Look, I'm sorry. It's been a rough night." She modulated her tone carefully, soothed away the mark on Paulson's cheek.

She turned back to the body. Neck snapped. Bruises. Bones nearly pulped.

"Blunt force," she said. "Nasty. 'Loser,' maybe. 'Failure.' Haven't seen words hit like this since that sociopath Cowell was put away."

"People don't think," said Paulson.

"Or they think too much. That's half the problem."

5 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

I KNEW it!!!

Loren Eaton said...

Love it.

Scattercat said...

This was a hard and fiddly concept to get out in 100 words, but I managed it at last (I hope.)

dolorah said...

Way cool. Definitely one that needs voice print.

...dhole

Scattercat said...

I take volunteers, btw. Here or over at The Dribblecast. :-)