Friday, December 20, 2013

Knocker

It was cold outside.  Snow coming down hard.  Not much warmer inside.  Television flickered.  He was in the armchair, awake.  Last can in the six-pack.

There was a knock at the door.  He paused.  Hauled himself up.  Staggered over.  Opened it.

Nobody there.  Snow swirling around his slippers.  Colder than it should have been.  Somehow sad.

He went back inside.  Slumped down in the blue-green radiation of the television screen.  Why would anyone visit him?  Empty house, full of ghosts.

Outside in the dark, slowly at first, a patch of snow began to swirl against the wind.  Dancing.  Leaving.

At last.

---

Part of the Advent Ghosts annual microfiction event.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Gaucher said...

I find this really scary, but I have to sleep on exactly why. Great work!

Scattercat said...

I think I'd only get worried if you found it pleasant and felt like it was something you'd want to experience. ;-)

Elizabeth Gaucher said...

Fair enough!

J F Norris said...

This is very well done. I thought from the title it was gong to be some kind of Jacob Marley tribute. This is much eerier.

Lots of stories about loneliness. Kind of a synergy going on through the digital airspace this year.

TKM said...

Loneliness and ghosts at Christmas, a classic combo, superbly told.

Loren Eaton said...

"It's the most lonely time of the year ..." Nice, Nathaniel.

Scattercat said...

Stories about Christmas end up, for me, a lot like stories about space travel. Cold and loneliness and staring out into the dark.

My own Christmases aren't particularly sad or anything. But when I try to think creatively about the season, that's what comes out.

Anonymous said...

When I lived in Florida many of my holidays were spent empty and alone, wishing someone would knock. This story makes me glad the wrong person did not. Well done.