Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lifetimes Piling Up

This one had some snappy dialogue originally, but it was forty words over and something had to go. I think that's the thing I like least about this format; no room for idle chitchat.

---

“Slow down!” I said.

Ted scrabbled at the dashboard, triggering a half-dozen defense systems. An oil slick, a smoke cloud, and a gout of fire burst from the rear of the car. The dark cars fanned out behind us, a hunting pattern. They were drawing near.

“Shit!” Ted grappled with the steering wheel. The wheels slipped and the car hurtled sideways.

After the chaos of the crash, I slipped a silver disc into the ruined dashboard. Ted’s mangled body flickered. I frowned at him as he shook his head.

“You’ve got to be more careful. I’m running out of quarters.”

No comments: