Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Camino del Rey

Crumbling stone underfoot. Below that, only the sky.

The mountains sneered down upon us. The walkway had been built long ago. The mountains had since reclaimed it, but still they were once defeated. That is why they were angry.

Carmen walked ahead of me. He was always surer of foot. Through hairpin turns, across gaps and narrow ledges, he led, and I followed.

He stopped, and I stumbled. He was staring into the abyss; the walkway ended here.

He turned to me, a smile on his lips. “We go where the trail leads,” he said, and stepped off the edge.

---

Third day in a row of unusual inspirational sources (beyond me just staring at the screen and letting my mind wander.) This time, Mark Simmons of Burning Zeppelin Experience has thrown out a prompt involving a video that made me want to hide under the bed. (I'm not exactly acrophobic, but I am very clumsy and have terrible balance, so high places make me very nervous.)

No comments: