Monday, June 20, 2011

The Boy Who Never Grew Up

"The worst part is knowing it's even possible, y'know, doc?" The youth scrunched into the overstuffed chair. "If I went off my meds, even for a day, I could fly again. I feel it, even if I don't believe it. That's what really bothers me."

"And have you had any more... hallucinations?" asked the psychiatrist.

"No," Peter lied, glaring at the fluttering fairy over the doctor's shoulder.

"Good. Well, we'll see you next week, okay?" He began shuffling papers – the traditional end to their sessions. Peter wasn't watching. He was staring at the window.

"I don't believe that," he whispered.

3 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

Oh, this one's great, perfectly poignant.

dolorah said...

I can see that . .

.......dhole

Scattercat said...

Someone gave me the prompt of "Leap of faith," and I've already done so many of those that I had to go pretty far afield to bring it home again. Also, Peter Pan always weirded me out.