Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Packaged

"How are you finding it?"

Malcolm leaned back, crinkling, letting his arm rest along the back of the couch, a studied half-inch away from Rhonda's shoulders. His breath fogged the inside of his wrapping as he considered the question.

"I'm not sure I can answer," he said. "It doesn't matter whether it's good or bad. It's really the only tolerable option. I was - we all are - falling to bits, constantly, endlessly. I couldn't stand it anymore. Now I'm safely sealed up. no more loss. No more worries."

"Plastics," said Rhonda faintly, not meeting any of their gazes, "are the future."

2 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

This reminds me of the very first episode of Eerie, Indiana called ‘Foreverware’ in which a couple of kids are sealed into huge Tupperware-style containers at night to keep them young.

Scattercat said...

That show was so awesome. Pity they don't have more kids shows like that...