Friday, February 26, 2010

Echo and Narcissus

“Halloooooo!”

Halloooooo…

“My name is Chet!”

Chet… chet… et…

Chet scrambled back toward the small cave in the cliff-side. “You gotta try this, Drac. It’s awesome.”

Dracula fiddled with a carabiner and didn’t meet Chet’s eyes. “I cannot,” he said at last.

“What? C’mon, dude; you climbed up here. I know you’re not chicken.”

“No. I am not able. It is… it is like the mirrors. I have no soul. I have no reflection, for there is nothing to come back to me. There is only me.”

“Oh,” said Chet. “So what is it that’s calling me from out there?”

4 comments:

Scattercat said...

This one took even me a while to find. For reference: http://www.mirrorshards.org/2009/04/ordering-out.html

dolorah said...

That was an interesting take on an old vampire. I liked the concept.

.......dhole

Jim Murdoch said...

Nice punch line. Jealous much.

Scattercat said...

Well, it's less about Dracula-qua-Dracula and more the fact that Dracula is instantly recognizable as a traditional vampire. And is also slightly silly at this point.

@Jim - Yeah, this is definitely a punchline story. I have mixed feelings about punchlines, but sometimes they get the job done.