Sunday, November 1, 2009

Foundations

It's November 1st! Time for our monthly dose of the Wisest Stone's very best advice. This is the one-year anniversary, roughly, of Mirrorshards and my daily writing exercise. My audience is small, but apparently loyal, and even includes several members not related to me. I'm glad you're all here, and I look forward to another year of strange fragments and odd windows into other worlds.

It's also NaNoWriMo, which I will be sort of participating in. (I've got over fifty thousand words already; I'm aiming for another fifty thousand and an actual finished novel instead of one that cuts out halfway.) Happy November!


---

“It is the problem of all buildings,” said the Wisest Stone, as Taku worked to dig him out of the soft sand.

“I think it is a problem of sand,” Taku said.

“The sand cannot be blamed. The trouble comes in the weight of the thing.”

“You should not land upon the beach,” Taku pointed out. “We have spoken of this before.”

“It is best,” the Wisest Stone went on, as if he had not heard, “to build upon a foundation of rock. But even piling rock upon rock, at some point you will still be building upon the sand.”

3 comments:

AidanF said...

Congratulations on keeping this up for a year; and good luck with Nanowrimo.

Chris Townsend said...

Been lurking for a while but wanted to take a minute and tell you how much I enjoy your flitterfics!!

Scattercat said...

Thanks, both of you!

Hey, I'm almost to *twenty* fans. Mind-blowing! I should have a contest with a prize for the one-hundredth Follower.