Thursday, September 10, 2009

Propulsion

Today's story courtesy - both inspiration and gracious permission - of the deliciously minimalist flash game Canabalt, by Adam Saltsman.

---

I run.

There is no other option. I run and I do not look back. I know they are there. But they are not why I run.

Ahead is a window, plate glass. I feel the servos in my legs respond to my mental commands, increasing speed. Outside, the Guardians continue their work. The flash and rumble are audible even here. It is too late to save the city. That is not why I run.

My cybernetic limbs catapult me forward. The glass shatters. I am bleeding from a dozen cuts, even through my nano-armor. I am alive.

I run.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice - definitely feels like it could be from that world! I'm posting a link to it in the game comments.

Unknown said...

Sounds like Shade's Children (Garth Nix), to me :D

Scattercat said...

I'm glad people liked it. I noticed several commenters and chatters asking, "But why is he running?" I like my answer. ;-)

@MC8 - Never heard of "Shade's Children." Might have to look it up, based on the Wikipedia summary. (Though it'd have been more relevant back when I was a middle school teacher.)

r2d2y said...

That book was both fascinating and disgusting... i liked his Abhorsen series better.

...but this story doesn't really remind me of it... idk. it's been a while, i guess.

Sambuddha Bishee said...

The best writeup to Canabalt possible. I salute you. Wish the developer would come across this, so that he might include this in the game's start screen or something. No. The game would best be left at its minimalist expressions. But this writeup was really great. Thanks Jim Greer for posting it in the comments section

Scattercat said...

The minimalism is quite top-notch, I agree. I couldn't help but speculate on the story, just from the snippets and glimpses we're given; that's my favorite mode of storytelling.