Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Advice

I've had a piece of flash fiction published over at Hypersonic Tales. It's called The Lady of Tilmarine, and it has an audio version and everything. Très chic. It's not a pro sale, little more than token, but it's a sale, at least. A bit of balm for the bruised ego as I approach the triple digits in rejection letters.

---

The first e-mail I got from me was almost banal. “I saw you today, walking around,” it read. “I like your hat.”

I didn’t own a hat. But I had seen a hat I liked the other day. I bought it and wore it on my first date with Zeya. It worked wonders.

The messages were infrequent, always helpful. I followed all my advice. Yesterday, I got a new e-mail. “You fucked up,” it read. “You fucked it all up. God damn you to Hell.” Nothing else. Nothing since.

What should I do? I don’t know. What will I do?

2 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

Congrats! The reading is really quite nice.

Scattercat said...

Thanks! Baby steps, as Bill Murray's mantra ran in that movie everyone else has forgotten about.

I was very pleased by the way it sounded. I'd written the story intending it to be read aloud, or at least to capture the rhythms. There were a couple of lines that stood out to me as needing more work in a spoken-word format that weren't apparent when I read it to myself, but overall I thought it turned out well.