Thursday, October 13, 2011

His Request

The bulldog walked into the living room where we were all sipping our postprandial coffee, tea, or "just water, thanks." I scratched his ears. No one else paid attention. Not that the conversation was interesting, mind you, but there's a certain level of self-absorption mandatory on these occasions.

The dog rolled his eyes up at me. "Haaaa... haaaa..." His breath was hot on my leg. "Heeeehhhpp..."

I shot him a glance. Had the dog just...?

"Heeehhp... mmmeeee..."

I looked around. Everyone was laughing about someone's quip. I forced a smile.

Eventually, the warm presence by my knee disappeared again.

2 comments:

Grayson said...

Hi Nathan - I read your interview over at Annie Bellet's blog, and just wanted to let you know you've found at least a little of your audience. I first encountered you in Abyss & Apex and loved your story ("Concrete").

Scattercat said...

Thanks! That's nice to hear. Hopefully you enjoy your stay here at the coincidentally named Mirrorshards. ;-)