Thursday, December 10, 2009

Girl Stuff

“Widen your stance, Abigail,” Marian instructed. “You’ll tip right over if someone charged you.” She pushed on the girl’s shoulders to demonstrate. Abigail swayed like a sapling in the wind. “You’ll never defeat anyone if that’s as stable as you get.”

“Keep your blade up, and between you and whatever might be coming for you.” Marian flicked a sweaty braid out of her face and raised her own sword. “Now get ready!”

“Hey, Marcus!” cried Abigail, spotting her older sibling walking by. “You wanna practice swords with me an’ Mom?”

Marcus sneered. “Why would I wanna play with girl stuff?”

2 comments:

Wendy Sparrow said...

LOL. I'm having Pride and Prejudice and Zombies flashbacks. Awesome!

Scattercat said...

I've not read that. Mostly because I've heard that the title pretty much tells you everything you need to know, and the original text is still pretty much the better story.

It was a cute idea. I just can't believe they did a whole book of it.